This one-day workshop is aimed at providing insight into the basic calculations for people working in financial markets. A step-by-step approach will be used to explain the use of the HP10b financial calculator. Delegates will have the option to either bring their own, or purchase a financial calculator from SAIFM. Foundational to the program is developing the ability to calculate the value of a single cash flow, multiple cash flows and the application of these calculations for pricing and valuing financial instruments. The ability to determine a rate of return on an investment and convert a nominal interest rate to an effective yield will also be clearly explained. Many practical examples will be conducted to cement concepts.
Session 1 – Getting to grips with the HP10b Financial Calculator
- Setting the parameters for time value of money
- Basic calculations using brackets
- Storing and recalling numbers
- Identifying other useful functions
Session 2 – Simple Interest calculations
- Day count and annual basis applied to different currencies
- Demystifying the jargon of financial calculations
- Nominal and effective rates
- Determinants of the nominal interest rates
- Simple Interest present value, future value, and per annum interest rate
- Calculate simple interest and future value of a single cash flow
- Calculate the present value of a single cash flow
- Calculate the yield on an investment given the simple interest and the initial principal amount
Session 3 – Time Value of Money
- Future value and present value of a single cash flow
- Future Value and present value of multiple cash flows – Annuities
- Internal rate of return
All queries can be directed to Melissa Joao: firstname.lastname@example.org / 011 802 4768
DATE JOHANNESBURG 4 April 2018
TIME 08H30 – 16H00
SAIFM Full members pay R3738-69 per person (Inc. VAT) valid till 30 March 2018
SAIFM Affiliate members pay R4094-87 per person (Inc. VAT) valid till 30 March 2018
Non-members pay R4397-38 per person (Inc. VAT) valid till 30 March 2018
HP10b Financial Calculator
Note in order to gain the full benefit of this workshop, it is essential that the HP10b Financial Calculator is used. Delegates are welcome to bring their own, if they have the HP10b calculator. Those who do not have the specified model can purchase one from SAIFM at a cost of R581-40 (Inc. VAT) each.
VENUE Address to be confirmed.
Refreshments and a light lunch will be served. Kosher or Halaal dietary requirements will attract a surcharge.
KINDLY NOTE: Closing date for bookings and receipt of payment is 20 March 2018.