This one-day workshop is aimed at providing insight into the basic calculations for people working in financial markets. A step-by-step approach will be used to explain the use of the HP10b financial calculator. Delegates will have the option to either bring their own, or purchase a financial calculator from SAIFM. Foundational to the program is developing the ability to calculate the value of a single cash flow, multiple cash flows and the application of these calculations for pricing and valuing financial instruments. The ability to determine a rate of return on an investment and convert a nominal interest rate to an effective yield will also be clearly explained. Many practical examples will be conducted to cement concepts.
Session 1 – Getting to grips with the HP10b Financial Calculator
- Setting the parameters for time value of money
- Basic calculations using brackets
- Storing and recalling numbers
- Identifying other useful functions
Session 2 – Simple Interest calculations
- Day count and annual basis applied to different currencies
- Demystifying the jargon of financial calculations
- Nominal and effective rates
- Determinants of the nominal interest rates
- Simple Interest present value, future value, and per annum interest rate
- Calculate simple interest and future value of a single cash flow
- Calculate the present value of a single cash flow
- Calculate the yield on an investment given the simple interest and the initial principal amount
Session 3 – Time Value of Money
- Future value and present value of a single cash flow
- Future Value and present value of multiple cash flows – Annuities
- Internal rate of return
All queries can be directed to Melissa Joao: firstname.lastname@example.org / 011 802 4768
DATE SANDTON New date to be confirmed
TIME 08H30 – 16H00
SAIFM Full members pay R4461.25 per person (Inc. VAT)
SAIFM Affiliate members pay R4884.80 per person (Inc. VAT)
Non-members pay R5246.00 per person (Inc. VAT)
HP10b Financial Calculator
Note in order to gain the full benefit of this workshop, it is essential that the HP10b Financial Calculator is used. Delegates are welcome to bring their own, if they have the HP10b calculator. Those who do not have the specified model can purchase one from SAIFM at an additional cost.
VENUE Address to be confirmed.
Refreshments and a light lunch will be served. Kosher or Halaal dietary requirements will attract a surcharge.
Disclaimer: Once SAIFM has confirmed that a workshop would carry on, cancellations will only happen in unforeseen, emergency situations such as the trainer becoming indisposed, protest action close to the venue, the venue being on fire or flooded. In such extreme cases, proof of the event that necessitated the cancellation, including a doctors’ note if the trainer is indisposed, will be provided to delegates to present to their employers. While every effort is made to ensure that confirmed workshops continue uninterrupted, it may happen in rare circumstances that we are obliged to cancel. In such a case, a full refund will be made but SAIFM cannot be held liable for the travelling and accommodation costs of delegates.